Job Title: Transit Planner
Reports To: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Apply on our website: www.sportran.org
Position is based out of Shreveport, La.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Forecast public transportation needs and formulate plans accordingly. Prepare documents to support forecasts and present information.
- Responsible for the research and planning (both short and long-range) of service changes whether permanent or temporary. Communicates geographic changes internally.
- Responsible for proactive community involvement in various task forces, City planning agencies, revitalization projects, Northwest Council of Governments meetings, Shreveport and Bossier Chamber of Commerce meetings, etc.
- Design a cogent data analysis plan, gather data and manipulate ridership, on-time performance, and other performance-related data using excel, access or other data analysis tools.
- Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), illustrate data/analysis findings, perform service analysis, including route and route segment analysis, and database management including diagnosing and correcting problems within GIS shape files integrated into the automatic vehicle location system.
- Conduct field studies, write reports, and interview passengers and other stakeholders, and to distill information into recommendations and communications with stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of current industry standards and practices.
- Preparation of maps and other media including PowerPoint presentations.
- Monitor data from AVL system, examines data for anomalies to ensure data quality.
- Coordinate schedules with intermodal partners.
- Quarterly revision to operator run-cutting and scheduling.
- Make presentations to various groups communicating SporTran initiatives and plans.
- Assist in the development of SporTran routes, schedules and facility plans.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge - Bachelor's degree required in work related area or equivalent. Knowledge of statistics and of technical writing. Extensive experience may be considered instead of degree. Must possess good oral and written communication skills. Good organizational skills are essential. Must be able to adequately deal with the public and SporTran employees both on the telephone and in person. Must be able to compose both letters and reports. Extensive knowledge of computer software required including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access). Prefer knowledge of mapping software. Must be licensed and able to operate an automobile.
Mental Effort - Requires ability to handle numerous activities at one time. Must be able to work with limited to no supervision.
Physical - May be required to lift or push up to 50 lbs. and be able to lift and move office materials and information signage. Must be able to use tools required for information signage. Extensive sitting, standing and walking are all required in the course of a normal workday. Requires the ability to be out doors for hours at a time. Must be able to get in, get out of, and drive a company automobile. Must be able to board, ride, and deboard all SporTran and contractor vehicles.
Audible/Visual Demands - Requires ability to hear telephone and verbal directions given. Visually perform essential functions for satisfactory job performance. Ability to view visual display terminal for extended periods.
- Must be able to maintain confidential data.
- Must be willing to work early morning, evenings, and weekends on occasion.
- Must be safety conscious and avoid accidents if possible.
- Able to read, analyze and interpret maps, schedules, plans, spreadsheets, and related documents.
- Ability to transition theoretical questions into data queries, design studies to gather data, and to manipulate data in Excel and/or Access.
- Able to create and maintain good working relationships through excellent communication and teambuilding skills; including the ability to engage successfully with both internal and external contacts and the public.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to gather, organize, analyze and present data to appropriate sources, ability to interpret and apply local, state, and federal rules and regulations accurately and effectively.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to prepare and deliver clear and concise reports.
- Must be able to manage and maintain simultaneous, transitional, and emerging priorities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer software programs including the Microsoft Office Suite.
Possess the ability to work with data base applications, transit run cutting and scheduling packages, GIS and statistical packages such as SAS.
- Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Transportation, or related field, required.
- A combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position may be considered.
All positions are Safety Sensitive and require pre-employment drug testing; background checks; clean driving records and applicants must be able to work flexible shifts.
SporTran is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SporTran provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SporTran complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.